Conferences and Panels
- Street Art Stickers: Silent Agitators, Paper Bullets, and Night Raiders. Illustrated paper presentation for Impact 8: International Printmaking Conference, Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art & Design, Dundee, Scotland. August 2013.
- Contested Terrains: Contemporary Sticker Art in Berlin, Montréal, and New York City. Illustrated paper presentation for Riot, Revolt, Revolution, 7th International Interdisciplinary Conference sponsored by the Centre for Applied Philosophy, Politics, and Ethics, University of Brighton, UK. September 2012.
- Takin’ it to the Streets and Stickin’ it to the Man (part III). Illustrated paper presentation for Return to the Street conference sponsored by the Centre for Cultural Studies at Goldsmiths, University of London, UK. June 2012.
- “WTF. It’s only a sticker.” Illustrated paper presentation for the annual College Art Association conference, Los Angeles, CA. February 2012.
- Takin’ it to the Streets and Stickin’ it to the Man (revised). Illustrated paper presentation for the international Arts in Society conference, Berlin, May 9 – 11, 2011. This paper expands upon the 2008 introduction to stickers and provides an in-depth comparative study of sticker art from Berlin and NYC since 2003. Additional proposals accepted for the conference can be found here.
- “Takin’ it to the Street and Stickin’ it to the Man: Political and Cultural Resistance in Contemporary Sticker Art.” Illustrated paper presentation at the annual College Art Association conference, Dallas, TX. February 2008.
- “Not Quite 2.0, but a Few Alternatives to Authority Lists and Controlled Vocabularies.” Illustrated paper presentation at the the annual Visual Resources Association conference, San Diego, CA. March 2008. In this paper, I discussed the creation of my digital sticker collection and how I’ve developed the project from a curatorial and collaborative perspective.
Grants and Awards
- Weaving the Streets & People’s Archive grant from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation’s Crossing Boundaries: Re-Envisioning the Humanities for the 21st Century initiative at St. Lawrence University. Funds will be used to add items to the Street Art Graphics collection and for SLU students, alumni, faculty, and others to write blog posts on The Weave: Mediocracy Unspun. August 2013.
- Deutsche Akademischer Austauschdienst (DAAD) German Academic Exchange Service Faculty Research Grant. May 12 – June 9, 2013.
- St. Lawrence University Center for International and Intercultural Studies Summer Research Grant. Traveled with students to Berlin and Munich to study German street art and prepare for exhibition at SLU. May – June 2010.
- Re-Writing the Streets: The International Language of Stickers. Traveling exhibition organized with Hatch Kingdom. Venues and dates to be confirmed. July 2013.
- DE VIGUEUR ET DE VERVE! International sticker exhibition with Hatch Kingdom at Under Pressure‘s Fresh Paint Gallery, Montréal, PQ, Canada. December 3, 2011 – January 28, 2012.
- Contemporary Street Art as Cultural Expression and Political Resistance. Exhibition on German street art with Hatch Kingdom at St. Lawrence University, October 21 – December 10, 2010.
- The Gallery has a Posse: Contemporary Sticker Art. Exhibition at St. Lawrence University. March 1 – April 6, 2006. SLU press release.
- Forget Fear: Berlin Biennale 7, April 27 – July 1, 2012. Exhibition review for the Journal of Curatorial Studies, Intellect Books (Volume 1, Issue 3, 2012).
- STUCK UP: A Selected History of Alternative & Pop Culture Told Through Stickers, a traveling exhibition in conjunction with Stickers: From Punk Rock to Contemporary Art (Rizzoli, 2010). Exhibition review for the Journal of Curatorial Studies, Intellect Books (Volume 1, Issue 2, 2012).
Say hello to stickerkitty at gmail dot com.
Additional contact information.