Conferences and Panels
- Street Art Graphics Digital Archive and People’s History Archive. Illustrated paper presentation for Digital Collections Showcase at DPLAfest 2016, Washington, DC, April 2016.
- Archiving Outside the Mainstream. Illustrated paper presentation for panel at Association of Canadian Archivists annual conference Perspectives on the Archival Horizon, Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada. June 2015.
- Street Art Graphics: A People’s Archive. Illustrated paper presentation for panel entitled From Creation to Classification: The Relationship between Artists, Archivists, and Art Historians at College Art Association annual conference, New York, New York, U.S.A. February 2015.
- Weaving the Streets & People’s Archive. Illustrated paper presentation for panel on Innovative Projects and Activities at Imaging Science and Technology/Archiving annual conference, Berlin, Germany. May 2014.
- Street Art Stickers: Silent Agitators, Paper Bullets, and Night Raiders. Illustrated paper presentation for Impact 8: International Printmaking Conference, Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art & Design, Dundee, Scotland. August 2013.
- Contested Terrains: Contemporary Sticker Art in Berlin, Montréal, and New York City. Illustrated paper presentation for Riot, Revolt, Revolution, 7th International Interdisciplinary Conference sponsored by the Centre for Applied Philosophy, Politics, and Ethics, University of Brighton, England. September 2012.
- Takin’ it to the Streets and Stickin’ it to the Man (part III). Illustrated paper presentation for Return to the Street conference sponsored by the Centre for Cultural Studies at Goldsmiths, University of London, England. June 2012.
- “WTF. It’s only a sticker.” Illustrated paper presentation for College Art Association annual conference, Los Angeles, CA, U.S.A. February 2012.
- Takin’ it to the Streets and Stickin’ it to the Man (revised). Illustrated paper presentation for international Arts in Society conference, Berlin, Germany. May 9 – 11, 2011. This paper expands upon the 2008 introduction to stickers and provides an in-depth comparative study of sticker art from Berlin and NYC since 2003.
- “Takin’ it to the Street and Stickin’ it to the Man: Political and Cultural Resistance in Contemporary Sticker Art.” Illustrated paper presentation for College Art Association annual conference, Dallas, TX, U.S.A. February 2008.
- “Not Quite 2.0, but a Few Alternatives to Authority Lists and Controlled Vocabularies.” Illustrated paper presentation for Visual Resources Association annual conference, San Diego, CA, U.S.A. March 2008. In this paper, I discussed the creation of my digital sticker collection and how I’ve developed the project from a curatorial and collaborative perspective.
Grants and Awards
- Deutsche Akademischer Austauschdienst (DAAD) German Academic Exchange Service Faculty Research Grant. April 27 – May 25, 2017 (forthcoming).
- The Council of Independent Colleges Consortium on Digital Resources for Teaching and Research four-year grant to create and manage Street Art Graphics digital archive in Artstor’s Shared Shelf Commons; supported by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation. June 2015. SLU press release here.
- St. Lawrence University Digital Initiatives Faculty Fellowship grant from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation’s Crossing Boundaries: Re-Envisioning the Humanities for the 21st Century initiative, January 2015.
- St. Lawrence University Louis and Frances Maslow Annual Faculty Award for “most interest in and understanding of the education and welfare of the student body as a whole.” August 2014.
- St. Lawrence University Faculty Research Fellowship grant to develop Paper Bullets, an exhibition of historical and contemporary political stickers from around the world to be presented at Hatch Kingdom, Berlin, Germany. February 2014.
- Weaving the Streets & People’s Archive four-year grant from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation’s Crossing Boundaries: Re-Envisioning the Humanities for the 21st Century initiative at St. Lawrence University. Funds will be used to add items to the Street Art Graphics collection and for SLU students, alumni, faculty, and others to write blog posts for The Weave: Mediocracy Unspun. August 2013.
- Deutsche Akademischer Austauschdienst (DAAD) German Academic Exchange Service Faculty Research Grant. May 12 – June 9, 2013.
- St. Lawrence University Center for International and Intercultural Studies Summer Research Grant. Traveled with students and alumni to Berlin and Munich to study German street art and prepare for exhibition at SLU. May – June 2010.
- Hungarian Multicultural Center International Artist Residency. Budapest, Hungary. December 2006 – January 2007.
- Re-Writing the Streets: The International Language of Stickers. Traveling exhibition organized with Hatch Kingdom. St. Lawrence University, Canton, NY, March 10 – April 18, 2017. Art that sticks: the international language of stickers at SLU interview with two students, Meg Chandler ’17 and Rebecca Clayman ’17, for North Country Public Radio.
- Paper Bullets 2: Contemporary Political Sticker Exhibition. Hatch Kingdom, Berlin, Germany, October 3-24, 2015. See also ilovegraffiti.de listing.
- Re-Writing the Streets: The International Language of Stickers. Traveling exhibition organized with Hatch Kingdom. Lore Degenstein Gallery, Susquehanna University, Selinsgrove, PA, September 5 – October 11, 2015. Exhibition review here. Installation shots here.
- DEAD AND ALIVE! Zombie Narratives in Artistic, Commercial and Political Stickers. Mini-exhibition at Union College Humans vs. Zombies: Humanistic and Scientific Reflections on the Apocalypse NY6 Think Tank & Symposium, Schenectady, NY, April 16-17, 2015.
- Paper Bullets: 100 Years of Political Stickers from Around the World. Exhibition at Hatch Kingdom, September 13 – October 24, 2014. Click on link for radio and press reviews. Selections from Paper Bullets were also on display at Lore Degenstein Gallery, Susquehanna University, Selinsgrove, PA, September 5 – October 11, 2015.
- DE VIGUEUR ET DE VERVE! International sticker exhibition with Hatch Kingdom at Under Pressure‘s Fresh Paint Gallery, Montréal, PQ, Canada, December 3, 2011 – January 28, 2012.
- Contemporary Street Art as Cultural Expression and Political Resistance. Exhibition on German street art with Hatch Kingdom at St. Lawrence University, October 21 – December 10, 2010.
- The Gallery has a Posse: Contemporary Sticker Art. Exhibition at St. Lawrence University, March 1 – April 6, 2006. SLU press release.
Journal Articles and Blog Posts
- Sticky art: the Street Art Graphics collection. The Artstor Blog. January 4, 2017. Web.
- Hidden in Plain Sight: Struck by the Street Art of Stickers. From the Streets to the Classroom. Huffington Post Education. March 1, 2015. Web. Co-authored with Christine Henseler on behalf of NY6 Think Tank. Also appears here on 4humanities.org, March 2, 2015. Web.
- “Reclaim Your City!” Printmaking Today. Volume 22 (2013), Issue 4 WINTER. Print.
- Forget Fear: Berlin Biennale 7, April 27 – July 1, 2012. Exhibition review written for the Journal of Curatorial Studies, Intellect Books (Volume 1, Issue 3, 2012).
- STUCK UP: A Selected History of Alternative & Pop Culture Told Through Stickers, a traveling exhibition in conjunction with Stickers: From Punk Rock to Contemporary Art (Rizzoli, 2010). Exhibition review written for the Journal of Curatorial Studies, Intellect Books (Volume 1, Issue 2, 2012).
Say hello to stickerkitty at gmail dot com.
Additional contact information.